The LARCS Board is proud to offer scholarship opportunities for teen residents of Ladera Ranch who will be attending a university or four year college in the fall of 2020.
The LARCS Board is proud to offer scholarship opportunities for teen residents of Ladera Ranch who will be attending a university or four year college in the Fall of 2020.
This scholarship is designed to recognize outstanding Ladera Ranch teens who have demonstrated a commitment to the Ladera Ranch community through volunteer participation as a LARCS Ranch Hand Volunteer and/or Teen Leadership Council (TLC) member who has been accepted at a four-year college or university.
The LARCS Scholarship Award program started with Saddleback College in 2012 and was expanded to students attending other colleges and universities in 2015. The criteria for the expanded scholarship program requires that the recipient be an active Ladera Ranch resident who has demonstrated scholastic achievement in addition to community involvement through volunteering and taking leadership roles.
Jay Rogers, Ladera Ranch Community Services Board member notes, "The LARCS Board initiated the program to recognize the efforts of outstanding local youth who will grow up to be our future leaders. We feel that it is a worthy investment in our future to help them in their goal of pursuing a higher education. These teen scholars are not only outstanding students but are well rounded and involved with music, sports, charitable work and community service. They have actively played a role in helping to make the community a better place and this is our way of thanking them for their efforts.”
Scholarships will be offered to teens who meet the criteria below and are selected from the qualified applicant pool.
1. Current Ladera Ranch resident
2. Minimum of 15 volunteer hours over the previous year supporting LARCS and TLC projects and additional volunteer hours to support local organizations
3. Acceptance at a four-year college for the Fall of 2020
4. 3.0+ GPA
5. Demonstrate good character via three letters of recommendation
b. Personal (non-family)
c. Extracurricular (church, sports, music/band, scouts, etc.)
6. Attend a LARCS board meeting and share how this scholarship will or has helped them personally
1. Apply on LaderaLife.com starting February 10. The deadline to apply is 5:00 p.m. on May 15.
2. LARCS Scholarship Committee will review applications and select winners by May 29.
3. Candidates may be invited to meet with the Scholarship Committee as part of the selection process.
4. Scholarship recipients will be formally announced in the Fall Issue of Roots and Wings Magazine .
Scholarship Award Process:
1. Student recipients will be contacted by June 1. Recipients must provide LARCS with the contact information for the bursar’s office of the school in which they will be attending no later than June 15.
2. LARCS will contact the bursar’s office to arrange for payment of the scholarship directly to the bursar for the student.
3. Scholarship funds will be restricted for use towards the student’s academic and/or tuition account.
Key Dates in 2020:
|February 10: Ladera teens may start applying on LaderaLife.com|
|May 15: Deadline to apply by 5:00 p.m.|
|May 29: LARCS Scholarship Committee reviews applications and selects winner(s)|
|June 5: Student recipients are contacted by LARCS|
|June 15: Recipients provide LARCS with contact information for Bursar's Office|
|Fall Issue of Roots & Wings:Scholarship recipients are announced|